Monday, September 29, 2014

Bienvenidos a Peru!!!

By Sara Grossie (UW_Bothell student)
28 Aug, 2014

Our program officially began today and am blown away by how much of Peru we have seen in the past twenty-four hours. From Hostal Alfonso II, where we stayed in Cusco, we began our journey to the small town of Atalaya via bus. As we made our approach eastward journey through the Andes mountains, as far as we could see were vast valleys painted in shades of beige and spotted with the green plots of Eucalyptus trees.
*The Eucalyptus tree is not native to Peru, but was brought into the western Andes
from Australia as a profitable resource that is often sold or traded between Peruvian communities."
            We stopped briefly at the pre-Incan chullpas (tombs) at Ninamarca. The tombs looked nothing like I had expected, resembling little adobe huts rather than burial sites. 
There was a little girl with a baby goat there and several other children trying to sell us bracelets handmade from yarn. Their attempts were successful. I bought five.

We made another small stop at the town of Paurcartambo, a small and uniquely colorful village with views of the river rapids running through it. We were fed delicious egg sandwiches and coca tea before resuming our expedition. 


            Seemingly suddenly, the view from my seat on the bus transformed into lush green vegetation. As our bus ride continued, the space between individual plants became less and less until the vines, ferns, and all of the other species unknown to me coalesced into a spectacular blanket of vibrant life and occasional waterfalls. The level of species diversity made obvious by only one quick glance through the window could easily overwhelm any biologist, environmentalist, or nature lover I've ever known. (In a good way.) It is impossible to become familiar with the endless number of species that exist here in one lifetime which I find to be the most fascinating fact about this part of the earth.
*The Amazon Rainforest is home to roughly 10% of all the species on earth.
There are about 16,000 species of trees alone that exist in the Amazon.
            Our bus carried us along the Manu Road which, despite recent repairs, is not for those with a fear of heights. Manu road is an intensely long and winding, one-lane, dirt pathway carved into the Andes, varying  about 3000m in elevation. The sheer mountainsides felt only feet from our wheels and often left me nervously fidgeting despite the many years of experience I knew our driver had. At a few hairpin turns, our driver asked us to wait outside of the bus while he maneuvered the turn. This provided us with opportunities to observe and explore the environment around us, which changed with each stop. At one such spot, we found several cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola peruvianus) that we watched intently for what felt like only seconds before we were asked to board the bus once again.

            We arrived in Atalaya late this evening and were promptly served a delicious soup. Suddenly, I heard a terrible noise. A very large cicada was frantically and loudly floundering on the table behind me. This prompted my body to ignore every logical thought and sprint across the room in an attempt to assert the furthest possible distance between myself and this mammoth winged monster. I don't entirely understand why I can't seem to quell my instinct to completely freak out in response to large insects, but it's one of my priorities while here in Peru to learn to coexist with all of the creepy crawlies (even the huge ones that have wings).

            I can hear the Alto Madre de Dios river nearby but it's too dark right now to see it at all. I'm one of many in our group that will be staying indoors tonight while the others are sleeping a short walk away in their tents. I am partly wishing I had chosen to sleep in my tent, but I haven't slept well since I left Seattle and I don't want to risk another sleep-deprived day tomorrow.

Sara Grossie is a junior at the University of Washington Bothell pursuing a degree in Environmental Studies. Sara enjoys hiking and exploring Washington State Parks in her free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment